Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Have a Minute . . . Or 2 . . . Or 30?


There was an article in the LA Times a few days ago about Hunch.com. I tried to resist the temptation, because the thing has time-waster written all over it. Finally, I gave in yesterday, and browsed around a bit. It seems like harmless fun, but I didn't sign up. Maybe I'm just getting old and paranoid, but it does seem like this benign little site could easily assemble some pretty personal facts about you without you even remembering what they are. For those less paranoid than me, it looks like a new spin on the social network thing. It gives you a way to find people who agree with you on personal preferences on anything from coffee selections at Starbucks to career choices. Who am I to get self righteous about killing time? I write a blog, don't I? That being said, it's a pretty sad picture of modern society when we turn to a database for advice on how to live our lives.

No comments: