Saturday, June 20, 2009

Field Trip!

Forgive my obtuseness. I'm trying to send a photo directly from Picasa and apparently making a botch of it. I did want to get my exclusive photos of the stinky plat as soon as possible, so I used my son's "easy to download" camera and Picasa. Unfortunately, neither of my sons or my husband is around to talk me through this so it's taken me two days to post this sucker. Somehow the texts is set on centered and I can't reset it. After wresting for hours to figure out how to get the flipping memory card into the laptop, I'm too dazed to care, so please excuse our mess as they say.
Anyway, this is how the amorphophallus titanum looked during my visit early on Friday June 19. The popular name is corpse flower or stinky plant, but thankfully it wasn't all that stinky when I was there. The stamen (the phallic part) did resemble pallid skin though. What a shock it would have been to stumble upon one of those things growing wild in an Indonesian rainforest.
Besides the corpse plant, my friend and I strolled through the Chinese Garden as well as a sumptuous display called "Beautiful Science" in the library, and satisfying lunch in the Rose Garden cafe and a quick jaunt through the cactus garden, finishing just in time to miss rush hour on the way back to Long Beach.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: