Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Long Beach Rides into Sunset


Well, folks, I learned an important lesson last week—read the entire magazine before you decide to post about it. Yesterday, I was so thrilled to see Long Beach blogger Adriana Martinez featured in the March issue of Sunset Magazine, that I dropped the magazine and ran to my laptop to blog about it. Turns out that the big news is that this issue is black and white and Long Beach all over the place.

There’s a nice little feature about Retro Row, the shops along 4th and Junipero on page 22. That old warhorse the Art Theatre is mentioned. Don’t get me wrong, the renovation is tasteful and comfy, but I’ll never give up my memories of those old lumpy seats and the incredible films I got so wrapped up in that I forgot the discomfort.

Then on page 81, there’s an interview with Russ Roca, who calls himself the “Eco-Friendly Bicycling Photographer.” The photo only shows half of his 6-foot-long cargo bike. It’s red with a big carrying case in the front and his logo on the crossbar. You can bet I’ll be on the lookout for it around town. He also blogs at Bike Commuters, so maybe I’ll suss out his favorite hangouts from there.
Anyway, I'm still feeling the glow of recognition from all the media attention. Long Beach deserves no less.

No comments: