Tuesday, March 24, 2009

In Case You're Wondering . . .


. . . where I've been for the last two weeks, my husband and I took a rental car free trip to the Bay Area (San Francisco and Santa Cruz mainly). The high point for me was the Amtrak ride to Oakland and the bus took us right to our hotel in Fisherman's Wharf! The photo doesn't do justice to the stunning views of the coastline around Point Conception, which for the most part is military land so you can't see it except for on the train. I loved the roomy seats and the observation car and the freedom to move around. And get this the train ran on time except for once, when it arrived early on our return trip to L.A. I'd go back in a minute, especially if I was guaranteed the gorgeous weather we enjoyed.


San Francisco has great (but expensive) public transportation. Starting with the $5 cable cars, we sampled it all. Google Maps has great directions for buses in San Francisco including time estimates and how much fares cost. If it had been rainy, I might not be so enthusiastic, but weather permitting using BART, Cal Trains, and the buses (gas and electric) is the perfect way to see San Francisco--no hassling with parking, no slogging up hills.

No comments: