Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Catching Up and All That Jazz


There are so many things to do in this city that lately I’ve been remiss in my blogging. Last Friday, I got a behind the scenes look at KKJZ Jazz Radio station. By volunteering to take phone calls during their winter pledge drive, I got a close up look at DJs in action (Helen Borgers at her irrepressible best) and some yummy grub from Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles. Mostly, I got to talk to some very friendly and generous people willing and able to give their time (the other volunteers) and/or money (the callers) to keep jazz alive in Long Beach. I had a caller from Boston and another one who’s been a subscriber to the station for 14 years!

Besides feeding us, the station manager and her staff handed out copies of L.A. Jazz Scene and flyers with information about Jazz the Ides of March. The brainchild of Helen Borgers (did I mention she’s irrepressible?), the event takes place on March 15 beginning at 4 pm at the Richard Goad Theatre in Bixby Knolls. Performers include Jack Sheldon and the Al Williams Jazz Society with Barbara Morrison (click her name for a great Los Angeles song) and recorded “jazz picks” presented by Ms. Borgers. The $15 donation benefits The Long Beach Shakespeare Company.

No comments: