Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Take steps: Yes, you can just walk to work


My second part-time job is close enough to walk to, and I’ve come to consider my regular strolls one of the perks of the job. I blogged about it last year, but since then I’ve come across some interesting statistics. The cumulative effects of a regular walking routine are better than an apple a day. According to the AARP Bulletin, you could lose 1.3 pounds each month, save up to $3,300 in medical bills, reduce your risk of cancer, stroke, and Alzheimer’s. Recovery from depression and skin wounds are speeded up. Wow! Don’t you wonder sometimes how the results of these studies are derived?

Anyway, I’m here to tell you that I feel great sitting down at my desk at work after getting my thoughts together with some fresh air and some light aerobic exercise. The 30 minutes it takes me to walk back home is the perfect cool down time to relieve me from any pains in the head, back or other bodily part I may be experiencing after a hard day's work.

Some people like walking with partners. I recommend a sturdy pair of shoes with thick soles and a pedometer to give you instant reinforcement about the good job you’re doing. About.com has a great page of tips for starting a walk to work routine. In addition to all that good advice, I’d suggest scoping out a a few good walking routes from the comfort of your car before you hit those mean streets. Variety will add interest. You’ll be surprised by the beauty that’s been there all along but concealed from the view from your car window.

No comments: