Monday, January 26, 2009

Did you miss me? Presto! I'm here!


Sorry, dahlings, that I haven’t written lately, but I’ve been outlining my novel. It sounds pretentious, I know, but I’m so thrilled and amazed that I’ve gotten this far in my online class, that I just had to announce it. The class is offered by Writer’s Village, a great group of friendly people with all levels of writing ability.

I’ve set up my compost bin and filled it with yard clippings. (see thrilling action photo to the right) It’s called the Presto, but it took me about 5 hours to set it up because I had to clear away so much weeds and miscellaneous stuff we had stowed out of sight (and out of mind) on the side of the house. Good thing my husband helped me or I’d have been at it all day. Next come the food scraps and hosing it down every now and then. February should be a good time to start planting, so I need to get self-watering inserts for my pots. I’ve also got my heart set on a sexy new pitch fork and the Original Bucket Screener for getting down with it with my steaming hot compost. Or I could track down James de Boer the Yard Farmer (he’s featured in this week’s issue of The District with no contact information) and get him to grow veggies in my front yard. Is this a zoning violation waiting to happen?

I had a Blue Line adventure last Friday but got no decent pictures, so I didn’t post about it. I stopped in at that temple of knowledge, the Los Angeles Public Library I picked up a few books (for research on my novel, dahling) and stopped in at an interesting exhibit of maps. Not much about Long Beach, but lots of interesting information on Southern California history. It’s been extended through March, so check it out if you get a chance.

3 comments:

Jacob said...

The District Weekly has added the missing contact information to their article since you linked to it: theyardfarmer@gmail.com.

Jacob said...

But wait! There's more! de Boer recently launched a blog at http://theyardfarmer.blogspot.com/.

Vivian said...

Whoo hoo! I'm there!Thanks jjl!