Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ready for Long Beach Idol?


Alas, I didn’t make it to the We Love Long Beach BBQ due to a major clog in my kitchen drain. Just once, I’d like to experience a minor clog in my kitchen drain, but that just ain’t gonna happen, is it? While I was waiting for the plumber to come, I did sign up for their email alerts, so hopefully I’ll be able to make it their next breakfast meeting.

While I was surfing the web, I discovered a great fix for all you “American Idol” junkies out there. The winner of the High School Unity Start Search will be named this Saturday at the Long Beach Unity Festival, scheduled for May 30 at Rainbow Lagoon Park from 10 am to 7 pm. And it’s free!

Over the last few months, students all over Long Beach have been competing in elimination rounds, and 21 finalists will give it their all this Saturday for celebrity judges like Kelvin Anderson, owner of VIP Records, and Paula Moffett of Capitol Records. Other singers and dancers are scheduled too, like Mumtaz Morris, Stevie Wonder’s son, and Ruben Cannon, and guest MCs Nautica de la Cruz, Donaldo Reed, and Aaron Cash will keep the crowd stoked.

The theme for the event this year is “Running for Hungry Families.” A Unity 5K run/walk will be held from 7:30 am to 10 am to raise funds for charity and everyone is welcome to contribute canned goods. Sounds like a great way to enjoy some music, dance, food and fun in that little gem of a park with ocean breezes and a great view of the Queen Mary and the downtown skyline.

No comments: