Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cholesterol blues

I'm completing my second week of a low cholesterol diet and have only cheated three or four times. On the whole, I've enjoyed venturing into dietary choices I'd ordinarily avoid like cabbage and beets, but the low salt/no salt items are a challenge and eating out is a real nightmare. The goal is to have a HDL (the good cholesterol) level greater than 60 milligrams per deciliter, and a total cholesterol level of less than 200 milligrams per deciliter. The low cholesterol diet recommends consuming less than 200 mlligrams a day, 14 grams of saturated fat and 73 grams of total fat. My daily calorie intake should be about 2200 calories. I also read that garlic and green tea have been found to lower cholesterol levels in some studies. Sadly, I have decided to stay away from the Chocolate Festival this year. Too much temptation.

No comments: