Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Take me back to the drive-in, take me back to the show

My birthday's coming up and I'm polishing up my nostalgia. One fond memory from childhood was going to the drive-in. Those crazy speakers dangling from the car windows, the endless trips to the concession stand, curling up in the back seat for a nap if the movie was a stinker. Maybe I'll take my offspring to try a drive-in before they all disappear. There's two in Riverside--the Van Buren and the Rubidoux, a huge 1,885 capacity in Montclair called the Mission Tiki, and the mighty Vineland in City of Industry. How do I know this? A very cool website called Drive-Ins.

And now there's Mobile Movies, or MobMov, using digital projector and FM transmitters for the audience to tune in. Members sign up and then get alerted by Twitter or email when a movie screening has been scheduled. Supposedly, there have been showings in Long Beach.

No comments: