Sunday, April 5, 2009

It's Alive! Alive!


I got some lovely little seedlings into pots today. Not just any pots though--organic compost fortified self-watering pots. Two tomatoes --Big Beef and Early Girl and two sweet red pepper plants are now snuggled next to each other in black rich moist dirt. I feel worried and vulnerable, kind of like a parent before a child's piano recital. I just hope they're healthy and do the best they can.


At this point, organic gardening is not saving me any money. I've laid out about $70 dollars to prepare the compost, get pots and soil and self-watering inserts. But if I think of it as a long term investment to grow vegetables for years to come, it helps keep my attitude positive. I feel good about growing my own food and understanding the very basics of what makes organic gardening work.

No comments: