Sunday, January 10, 2010

Panniers A-Plenty #2: Dogs Xing

Exciting news! I have already fulfilled my exercise goal for January -- two walks or bike rides for work (including grocery shopping) and two walks or bike rides for pleasure. I walked to Ralph's last week as well as the bike ride to the Alamitos Bay Marina Farmer's Market described in Pan(n)iers A-Plenty #1. For pleasure, I joined members of the Sierra Club who stride around Signal Hill every Tuesday and Thursday night. What they called a moderate pace was strenuous for me, but the night air and the view from Hill Top Park made it worth the effort. Today, I ventured down to the shoreline bike path with my husband and sons. It's been months since I went down there, but every time I go, I'm always delighted by little glimpses of the good life Long Beach style that come my way.



We cruised down Sixth Avenue, which heading west from Santiago is a cruiser's paradise (the steep climb heading east is well beyond my ability level). The road gently rolls up and down with the greenery "Little Rec" Golf Course and Colorado Lagoon for scenery. We had to detour around the mounds of dirt piled up around Ximeno for the excavations going on around Marine Stadium. Two of my favorite bike rides obstructed--what a bite!



Every time I cruise around Belmont Heights, I always discover a new residence I wish were mine. Given my current financial situation and lacksadaisical housekeeping routine, it's probably better that one of those beauties doesn't fall into my hands. Most of the streets in that neighborhood are narrow but traffic is light and stops are clearly marked. The main challenge is crossing Broadway. Ocean was also a little dicey too because the traffic light gave barely enough time for our group of bikes and a couple of bikes crossing in the other direction to negotiate the central island.



We connected with the shoreline bike path at the Belmont Olympic Pool. A swim meet must have been in progress because the place was buzzing. I noticed that Chuck's Coffee Shop (Home of the "Weasel" Locally World Famous) now has a designated bike parking area, and if all the cars trolling for spaces are any indication, two wheels are definitely the right way to roll at Chuck's.



As we headed out onto the bike path the Airship Ventures blimp floated above us and my husband just had to get a photo, causing a little conjestion for the bicyclists and pedestrians around us. Most everyone was mellow about veering around us. After all it's a sunny Sunday at the beach and the rest of the country is freezing cold, so Californians are ready to cut each other a little slack. I was surprised to see more walkers that bikers and even 4 or 5 roller bladers enjoying the sun. Thankfully, I remembered my shades.

Further along, we passed the volleyball courts. Nearly all of them were occupied, many with very attractive Misty May wannabes in sports bras and bikini bottoms. On the ocean side of the path, orange hazard cones marked off the dog beach. Happy pups careened in and out of the surf as their owners tossed balls or barked commands. "Dogs Xing" was stencilled across the bike path, but I had no canine encounters to slow me down. We crossed Ocean and headed up Bayshore. That street is VERY narrow and made even more challenging by the concrete wall on the beach side of the road. Motorists were very patient about sharing the road with us, but it was a relief to get back to Appian Way and its big fat bike lane. The rest of the ride was pretty mellow, except that I had a minor run-in with a lamppost as I was watching the cricket match in Marina Vista Park. One strand of my new bike basket was broken, but it looks like it'll hold up just fine.

No comments: